Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bottle on the House

I hadn't really celebrated my birthday in awhile. I came back from jail in 2005, and the first two years I was really just trying to get back on my feet. I found a couple jobs but nothing great (besides the amazing people I've met at almost each). But 2007-2008 was game changing.

I tripled my salary in a little over two years (yes I realize "tripling" isn't very descriptive, I'm sure people with no income can easily increase it by hundreds of percent lol), finally moved to (the middle of) Manhattan, and things were on the right path, still are actually. So I ended up in a digital ad agency, building websites and web apps for some of the biggest brands in the world.

So not like 27 is a special age, but 2009 was the first time I decided to actually throw myself a party, something I usually hate doing. The invitations, splitting the bill, finding a place, never tickled my fancy.

But hey, I'd been locked up for 2.5 years, why not? So I invited a combination of friends I met through work and friends from years ago. We went to Third Floor Cafe, a Korean bar on 32nd St. and 5th Ave.

Location was chosen for a couple reasons.
  • It was close to home so I could easily stumble back.
  • They knew me so I get free shit sometimes
  • The waitress Cecile is friendly*cough*hot*cough*
Unfortunately, the day I was celebrating my birthday (the day after), was also the last day at work for a coworker. We started drinking Sangria in the office, followed by our infamous Forty Fridays, then I made my way to Third Floor Cafe.

A couple cocktails later, more people showed up than I anticipated. We had some seating problems that were eventually resolved, then the shots started.

I remember ten to twelve shots. Problem was, my friends were mixing the type of shots they kept (easily) "forcing" down my throat.

Johnny Black, Patron, Three Wise Men... that's just what I remember.

The rest of the night was a blur. I was wasted. Not everyone could tell, since I had different groups of friends present who didn't know one another, I was doing what I could to make sure everyone was comfortable.

I still feel bad because there were a few people I don't think I even got a chance to talk to that night. Adrenaline kept me going, more shots came, and somewhere in all that there was a bottle of Patron on the house. I found out through Facebook the following day.

People came and went, leaving me money asking if it was enough. Laughing, all I could reply was:

"I have no idea."

The next day I was filled in by various sources. Apparently I had over twenty shots. How I wasn't rushed to the hospital I have no idea, but all I know is that I sure as hell didn't feel healthy the next day.

The bill came out to $1,600. I covered a quarter of it lol. I guess instead of saying "I have no idea," I should have said "Hell no, give me another $20!" But it's all good, I kind of expected something like this to happen beforehand, it always does with big groups. But I wanted to have a celebration, somewhat of a combination celebration of my freedom, birthday, and the positive changes that I've affected upon my life.

Partying as a teenager all drugged up was fun. But something has to be said for guiltless, hard-earned fun =) Thanks to everyone who made it, and thanks to those who couldn't but wish they could. The rest of you? Fuck off =P haha jp I <3 you all

2009 has been, on a personal level at least, a good year.

4 comments:

  1. I was gonna say 'Hey, why didn't you invite me?' and then I remember I was there, just really drunk, haha. Will next year be crazier? :-p
    -Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw i left before i got to see you messed up. it was fun tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. next year? nah i dont think im doing that again, i cant afford $400 worth of drinks on one night every year lol

    and yeah gellie u shoulda stayed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a hell of a night. You never seemed that drunk though...

    ReplyDelete